clear current in COMBO box ?

hi everyone,
i am trying to clear the entire list in my combo box by pressing a button,
but for some
reason the currently selected item in the combo box is not cleared (like
the rest)
when I call the clearing function. The code is below:

gtk_signal_connect (GTK_OBJECT (button), "clicked", GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC (clear),
list);

void clear (GtkWidget *widget, GtkList *list)
{
        gtk_list_clear_items (list, 0, -1);
}

Thanks!