smooth text fade

Hi

I want to have such a smooth faded text like in windowmaker if if switch
between 2 workspaces.

For all who don't know windowmaker:
windowmaker has several workspaces. If you switch between them
windowmaker fades in the name of the actual workspaces (on top, of
course) and then....guess... blind it out.

And this is exactly the stuff i want to have (a possibility to fade text
on the top of all windows)
I think i've to create a window with transparent background. Further the
window manager have to be disabled. The window should pipe all events to
the underlying windows. aso.

But: i've absolutly no clue how to make this.
Hence i ask for:
- either a library which implements this functionality (gtk/gdk or xlib)
- or some further links about this topic

TIA
regards
marc(..)