menu accelerator and accented letters

Hi,

I'm doing some translation for a program, and I would like to underline an
accented letter but use its unaccented counterpart as accelerator. For
example, the "/Help/_About" menu is translated in french with "/Aide/_À
propos" (À = \`A). Underlining the accented letter works but as I
think people can use translated software on non localized keyboards, I
would like to still underline the accented letter but the menu should be
accessed with the non accent letter.

In other words, can we underline a letter in the label but assign another
letter for the shortcut? I mean, without modifying the source, only in the
menu path (using the GtkItemFactory).

This would be helpful for the main menu bar: e.g. '/_Edit' is translated as
'/Édition'(É = \'E) and should be accessed with Alt-e and not Alt-é. I know
that non latin (like japanese) software are used to add the latin character
in parenthesis like in 'XXX(_E)', but I would rather not do this.

What I'm doing now is using unaccented characters, but I hope of a better
solution.

If there is none, could it be an interesting suggestion for future Gtk
versions?

Thanks.

--
Melvin Hadasht