setting a default font in the RC file

i saved some old email from one of the gtk lists that says i can override the
global application font like this:

style "my_preferred_font"
{
        font = "name of the font"
}

widget "*GtkWindow" style "my_preferred_font"
widget "*GtkWindow*" style "my_preferred_font"

How does this work in gtk 1.3.13?

1. The RC file is called "$HOME/.gtkrc-2.0", correct?  When i strace my app,
it still reads "$HOME/.gtkrc" instead.  Should i file this in bugzilla?

2. i tried to override the font like this:

  font = "Sans Italic 12"

However, my app looks exactly the same.  Is this temporarily busted?  >>Bugzilla?

3. If my app is displaying a mix of English and devanagari, can i override
only the devanagari font size?  English looks OK at 12pt but devanagari is
almost unreadable.  i'm not finding this in the docs.

--
Victory to the Divine Mother!!         after all,
  http://sahajayoga.org                  http://why-compete.org