Widget control

Hi all,

I want to start programming an embedded application using GTK. I have no
keyboard or mouse. Instead, some special button-events are received through
a properiety ioctl(). Now, what is the best way to control the
widgets/buttons? I need to select items from a toolbar, present some clists,
actually nothing complex. Should i use calls in which widgets and buttons
are activated or is it possible/easier to translate the button-events in
signals and let standard GTK handling take place ?! If the signal-thing is
possible, how may it be done?

Any ideas welcome.

Regards,
Petro Verheuvel.