No text after GTK2.2 upgrade

After upgrading to gtk2.2, no text (Including gtklabels and gtktreeview
cells) in any of my GTK apps is displayed anymore.  I've confirmed that
this happens with the gtk-demo program as well.  I think the problem is
with Pango 1.2, since text appears after rolling back to an older
version of pango.  One strange thing is that I CAN see the text when
using pango 1.2 if I view from my windows box using Hummingbird.  I
don't know if it's relevant, but I installed all of the fontconfig 2.1
package since I saw it mentioned in the pango docs, but that didn't
help.  I'm running redhat 7.3 with a 2.4.18-10 kernel on an i386 box.
Compiled with gcc 3.2

I'm guessing this isn't a common problem because I haven't seen anyone
else comment on it, but I don't think I've installed anything unusual,
either.

Thanks for any ideas.

--
Erik Simonsen