Re: Improving cross compilation

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 03:48, Allin Cottrell wrote:
On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Owen Taylor wrote:
Michael Taht <mtaht mvista com> writes:
Is there room on the schedule for the next release to improve cross
compilation for all the gtk related libraries, notably pkg-config?
If you mean, by next release, the GTK+-2.4 release, sure, if
someone wants to do the work and submits patches.

I think for pkg-config, the main thing would simply be figuring
out how it should work. A fairly obvious possibility would
to:

 A) make pkg-config support --target in it's configure to
    install prefixed by $(host_alias)

 B) Make PKG_CHECK_MODULES look for the $(host_alias) prefixed
    pkg-config.

I'm not sure that work is necessary, given the ability to set
PKG_CONFIG_PATH.  One can have just one installation of pkg-config
that serves all targets.  E.g. I use plain /usr/bin/pkg-config in
setting up makefiles on Linux for cross-compiling GTK-based programs
for win32; I just ask it to look in /opt/mingw32/lib/pkgconfig for the
package info.

To cross-compile my app with glib on sh4 I just added these lines to my
configure.in:

# Setup any cross-compile specialities if we are building for another
target
# (eventually these paths should be in our own build tree)
case $target_alias in
        sh4* )
                echo "Setting up cross-compile variables"
                CC=sh4-linux-gcc
                export
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/STM/ST40Linux-1.0/devkit/sh4/lib/pkgconfig/
                ;;
esac

And left the existing PKG_CONFIG lines unchanged. Works fine.

Allin Cottrell.