Re: Configuration files

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 02:24:33 +0300
Syomin Pavel <syomin comcon obninsk com> wrote:

Ok, we have GConf & gnome-config for parse config files. And now is time
to decide to use. I want to write small Gtk+ 2 (or GNOME 2 it isn't so
important) based application for UNIX only, and I can't make my choise:
"What to use: GConf or gnome-config?". Both of this libraries are part
of GNOME project, and will be interesting to know opinion of GNOME
developers.

Why the opinion of Gnome developers? I'd say that their opinion might be
slightly biased (one usually gets to like the tools one's working with).

I'd say you should use no gnome components unless you want it to be a
gnome-application. Making programs with the lowest level of dependancies
is in my opinion a good idea. There are good reasons to make something a
gnome or KDE application, and you should weigh the pros and contras. If
you make your application a gnome app only because gnome-config has a
couple of advantages but does the same as GConf, and if gnome-config is
the only gnome component you're using, it's been the wrong decision.

The question is: should it be a gnome app or not? If you think that using
gnome libs will help you write a better program, use gnome-config, if
there's no drawbacks in using GConf and the more standard libraries, use
them.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui