Re: UTF8 strings - internationalization

Hi,

I had the same problem for Estonian language and the problem is that the string you are using is not an UTF8
string. In UTF8 üõäöšžßß are 2 byte characters while szabc... are 1 byte characters. You probably have all 1
byte characters. GTK2 wants to see UTF8 strings. I used solution where I will write all strings initially in
English and will use gettext for Estonian translation. It should also work if you write the source code with
some UTF8 supporting editor.

Best Regards.

I modified a simple Programm to put out some german umlauts. But
everytime this warnings apears:
** (label:2876): WARNING **: Invalid UTF8 string passed to
pango_layout_set_text()

This works:
label = gtk_label_new ("This is a Normal label");

This doesn't work:
frame = gtk_frame_new ("Normal Label, mit Äs Üs ös und buckeleßßes");

I hope your newsreader show the german umlauts ;-)

What could I do to put out the german umlauts?

Does someone have a link to a tutorial how to internationalize gtk2-apps
with gettext. I downloaded the gettext manual, but it's big. I search a
small tutorial for beginners.

Thanks
Andreas

      Peeter Vois