Re: Transparency, again...

I believe what you're looking at is:
        gdk_pixbuf_render_pixmap_and_mask();
with this you'll get transperency ... but not alpha channeling
(or at least I haven't found the time to try)

Good luck!
        -Tristan

Thomas Cameron wrote:

Hello,

Okay, I followed that link, and that is what I'm talking about.  But,
like you said...weather or not you can apply it to a top-level window or
not has yet to be seen.  Anyway, I had another idea.  I was rifling
through the GDK API, and I was looking at the background stuff.  It was
saying something about using a bitmap/pixmap combination to create
transparency.  It mentioned that if a window had it's bg set to be
transparent, then whatever was already in that area of the screen would
remain displayed.  It also made mention of using xpm's, and other files
as a background.  I'll look into this more, and hopefully even produce a
sample application to see if this will give me the desired effect.

If I am able to reach my goal, I will submit my findings to the list.
For my particular application, I will most likely write a function to
make setting transparency easier for end-programmers...which I may also
release to the group.  Thanks again for your help!

Thomas Cameron