Q: Why doesn't bg[NORMAL] = { 0, 0, 0 } work?

Greetings everybody!

        I have small test-program loading a rc-file to alter the look of a few names
widgets via this resource-file. Mainly I am interested in changing a widgets
bg-color to black and a labels fg-color to white. The directives:

bg[NORMAL] = { 1.0, 0.0, 0.0 }
base[NORMAL] = { 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 }
text[NORMAL] = { 1.0, 1.0, 1.0 }

don't work. Only there two:

font_name = "Luxi Sans 24"
bg_pixmap[NORMAL] = "image.png"

works as expected. What is wrong with the initially mentioned directives?

Attached to this email are the programs sourcecode and the rc-file in
question. Compile instructions can be found in the comment at the top of the
C-file.

Thanks in advance for your time and kind advice!

Best regards...

MacSlow