check buttons in a clist

G'Day !

I am developing an application in GTK 1.2.x

What I need to do is get a check button(s) in a variable length list in a dialog box. At first glance it seems a clist is what I want, but after looking at the API, tutorial, and list archives, I'm not sure the clist can do what I need.

What is the best widget to use ?  any example code ?

For a better explanation of what I need:

I am developing a vector drawing program. The program will support the use of layers to remove portions of the drawing, to avoid clutter. The number of layers will be arbitrary.

I want a dialog so the user can select whick layers are visible. Most similar programs use what appears to be a clist with check boxes embedded into the rows.

cheers,
Jim Parker