Re: Which widget or widgets to use

On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 04:44, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
This is a little difficult to express, but here goes.

I would like to have a columned list, that certain columns contain like
an empty entry box. I would like certain columns to act like a combo
box.

You can do this with a GtkTreeView and a GtkListView.

Now I do not think this is possible with a clist, not to mention that
use of clists is supposed to be deprecated. So can this be done with the
replacement widget, the list store. Or is there another way to go about
this.

The limitation of the GtkCList lies with just text and images.  I had
this problem before, I wanted to use a check box or combo, and it
couldnt be done (but it can in GtkTreeView/GtkListView).

I have been playing around with some widgets in Glade but I can't seem
to replicate the functionality that I am looking for.

Glade-2 currently doesnt have much support for GtkTreeView's /
GtkListView's (as far as showing of their full potential is concerned).
They can be quite complicated because they are powerful in what can be
done with them.

The closet thing I have seen kind of like what I am looking for is
either a spread sheet in GNumeric, or the Contacts part of Evolution in
phone list view.

But neither of those have a drop down list/combo box that I want.

You want to look more into the GtkTreeView and GtkListView.  To use
combo's / entry's / check boxes / etc, look at the GtkCellRenderer
documentation:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/treewidgetobjects.html

Also, you get an idea of how to do some of these things, (I am assuming
you have gtk2) you should be able to run the program 'gtk-demo' which
shows off all of gtk2's main features... and gives the source to how to
do them.  Perhaps these will give you more of an idea!

So is the functionality that I am looking for possible. If so what
widget(s) should I be using. I am not looking for code examples, but I
am looking for some direction on what widget(s) or combination of
widgets to use.

Thanks

--
Sincerely,