Getting started...

Title: Message
Hello all,

    I am new to GTK programming, and must say that I LOVE it so far.  I am running into a small problem, however.  I am sure that this is just due to my inexperience, but how would I accomplish the following?

    I am building an interface for an application. This interface will have 3 sections on the main window.  The "Main Display", which will be a large portion of the screen, a "Navigation Button", which should be 25hx50w, and a "Status Area".  The status area will NOT be a status bar.  Anyway, I want to know what the best mothod of layout would be.  The Navigation button, and status area will both be the same hight.  The button will be to the left of the status area.  I suppose my question would be which container to use?  What kind of frame, box, etc. can I use, and tell it to only be so tall?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated,
Tom Cameron