Window hierarchy over multiple processes

Am I correct in assuming that GTK+ needs all the windows/widgets in an
application to belong to the one process?  That is, it's difficult to
have a window in process A being the parent of a widget created in
process B.

Basically, I want to delay until runtime the decision about whether
to use some widgets provided by a shared library, and I'm too lazy
to try and use the g_module dynamic loading stuff because I'd have
lookup the symbol for every function I want to call etc.  Or am I
just kidding myself in thinking it would be easier to create a
wrapper process to avoid explicitly linking to the shared library?

Cheers,

    Bernie

P.S. I thought I had seen some posts on this sort of stuff in the
past, so I tried searching the archives but got no hits for any
keywords I tried.  So either I'm dim and can't use the search
facility properly, or searching the archives is broken because I
tried some obvious keywords for recent posts (e.g. "*combo*") and
still got no hits.