Re: Video stream to display

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001 16:50:39 +0200 (MET DST), Thomas Nemeth said:

      I'm writing a program that needs to display grayscale
      images taken from a video stream. My code looks into
      a memory structure to get the needed image and then
      displays it with gdk_draw_gray_image.

When you say memory structure you imply it's not in a one
segment buffer that gdk_draw_gray_image() likes?

      The program should be able to display about 1 (or less)
      image per second. But the drawing is _very_ slow... (the
      program does not do the job of getting the image form the
      video stream : it's done by another system that loads it
      into memory, then my program reads it there).

If there are multiple processes acting on one segment of memory
there's always going to be syncing issues.

Other than having the memory format the same as what
gdk_draw_gray_image() likes, there really isn't much else you can
improve on.

If the latency is from the program that updates the memory
segment then you need to work things out with it to update that
memory and notify your application about it in shorter intervals.

Sincerely,                  ,"-_                         \|/
-Capt. Taura M.             ,   O=__                    --X--
.__                          ,_JNMNNEO=_                 /|\
OMNOUMmnne.                  {OMMNNNEEEEOO=_
UOOOBIOOOEOMMn.               'LONMMMMNNEEEOOO=.__..,,..
UUOOEUUOOOOOOOObe              '"=OMMMMWNEEEOOOOO,"=OEEEOO=,._
OOUUUIEEIOONNOIUbe.                "7OMMMMNNNNNWWEEEEOOOOOO"   "'.
EEBNNMMMNWNWWEEIMMNe.             __  7EMMMNNNNNWWWEEEEEEEOO.     " .
NNMMMMWWWMMMWEINMMMNn            "=BBEEEEMMMMMMMMNNNWWWEEOOOOO=._     .
                  http://furry.ao.net/~learfox/