Keyboard Focus notification

Is there a signal I can connect to telling me when a widget is getting the input focus (like the user clicked
on it/uses the tab key a lot -> it's got that smallish black border around it). I'd like to receive a simple
signal along the lines of "focus has changed, new focus state is" or a simple focus-in, focus-out signal.
I've tried connecting to the focus_in event but my signal handler wouldn't get called at all as far as I
remember.
I've managed to get notified of a button press event, though, but this will only tell me when the user has
changed focus
using the mouse which is not what I want.

Regards,
A.Eckleder

--
   ### Who is General Failure - and why is he reading my harddrive ? ###