gtktext problem

Hi !

I am writing an chat client for some austrian clients.
my current version is only a console client, but i want to
use a gtk+ interface.
i allready build an gtk+ interface with only a text widget to view
the text and an entry widget.
when i start the client it connects to the server and starts
reading the data coming from the server.

it should put this data into the text widget but :
i am not able to see any output in this text widget.
the application does not respond anymore.

i use freeze() after creating the text widget.
after each single line inserted by insert() i call thaw() to update the
text widget.

thanks for help, martin