GTK newbie

GTK people,

Im a newbie to GTK and graphical progamming as well. I am hoping that
somebody can point me in the right direction. What I would like to do
with this code is
be able to open 1 or more pictures each in its own window on its own
canvas. In other words, when Open calls back I would like to call the open
method that will open the picture on a new canvas.

void open(GtkWidget* can)
{
        GnomeCanvasGroup* group;
        group = gnome_canvas_root( GNOME_CANVAS (can));
        //I segfault at the above line. Without it I don't but from what I
can tell I need group for the gnome_canvas_item_new func.

}

gint main (gint argc, gchar *argv[])
{
        GtkWidget* app1;
        GtkWidget* win;
        GtkWidget* canvas;

        gnome_init ("dicer", "0.5.0", argc, argv);
        win = gtk_window_new(GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);
        gdk_imlib_init();
        //Set up visual & colormap
        gtk_widget_push_visual(gdk_imlib_get_visual());
        gtk_widget_push_colormap(gdk_imlib_get_colormap());

        canvas = gnome_canvas_new();

        //pop visual & colormap
        gtk_widget_pop_visual();
        gtk_widget_pop_colormap();

        app1 = create_app1 ();

        gnome_canvas_set_scroll_region(canvas,0.0,0.0,320.0,320.0);

        open(canvas);
        gtk_container_add (GTK_CONTAINER (win), canvas);

        gtk_widget_show (app1)
        gtk_widget_show_all (win);
        gtk_main ();
        return 0;