Raising Windows to the top

Hello,

I hope this is a fairly simple issue, but I have read several books,
searched the web, checked the archives, and looked through the Gtk+ API, and
I can't find the answer:

Various window managers do not necessarily raise a window when it has focus,
depending on the user settings.  I am writing a mulit-window app, and when
the user closed a window, rather than destroying it, I hide them.  When I
un-hide them, they appear underneath other windows.

I would like to ensure that a window is raised to the top when it is shown,
for example:

gtk_widget_show(GTK_WIDGET(window_ptr));
some_function_to_raise_window(GTK_WINDOW(window_ptr));

I'm sure this is easy, and I just have been overlooking the solution.

Please help.

JATF