Re: class writer

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 02:26:26AM -0400, David O'Toole wrote:
The attached perl script generates the standard boiler-plate C
code for registering a GObject subclass.  Maybe i'm not the only
one who is sick of doing this by hand.  Comments welcome.

I think we should encourage the use or adaptation of Objective-C for
people trying to do the kind of dynamic object-oriented programming that
GObject (painfully) allows. The fact that preprocessor-type programs
are popping up is enough evidence for me: we should be looking to standardize
on an extension to C for Gtk+ applications development instead of making
lots of different preprocessors for different dialects. The need for
preprocessing is obviously there (we knew that in 1980 actually :-)
...why not take an additional step with this great compiled language
we're already (almost) using?

Yah, but all the other languages takes things too far.  For example,
there are well known problems hidden inside the implementation of C++
due to the slightly sub-optimal design of the language.  i don't know
as much about Objective-C, but i'm suspicious.  At this point, i am
interesting in seeing slow, sure-footed evolution of C, like C99.
i also support extremely conservative extensions such as:

  http://guidod.4t.com/substruct-c

$0.02

--
Victory to the Divine Mother!!   ... after all, why compete?
  http://sahajayoga.org                http://why-compete.org