GtkDrawingArea in a GtkFrame

I hope this isn't a FAQ, but I have a GtkDrawingArea inside a GtkFrame but
the drawing area doesn't expand to fill the Frame.  By default the
geometry of the drawing area is 0x0 and I have to explicitly set it with
gtk_drawing_area_size() but even then the widget doesn't resize when the
frame resizes.  I tried putting a GtkButton inside the frame and it
resizes as I would expect.  Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

gtk+ version 1.2.10.

Thanks.

-Dave
dnewman maraudingpirates org