scrollable vbox

I want to create a set of buttons in a vbox, with a vertical scrollbar.
I did do this using:

gtk_vbox_new();
gtk_box_pack_start() with expand and fill flag FALSE
gtk_scrolled_window_new();
gtk_scrolled_window_set_policy(w,GTK_POLICY_NEVER,GTK_POLICY_AUTOMATIC);
gtk_scrolled_window_add_with_viewport();

The problem is that buttons are stredged in horizontal direction to fill
all available space.
If I don't add scrollbars at all buttons are as narrow as possible.

Is there a way to get this for a vertical scrollable box as well?

(Maybe a gtk_vscrollbar_new would do, but that needs a gtkadjustment
connected to the vbox, I think; I couldn't find examples showing how to do
this.)

Rob.