Re: Scrollbars, multikey characters, Cut/paste... Hard prbs...

1) SCROLLBARS
Without seeing a bit more of the code, it's hard to know what is going
wrong.

 - Are you trying to act as the "parent" widget for the scrollbar
   yourself or are you using an existing container?

 - If you are changing the values of the adjustment, are you
   calling gtk_adjustment_changed() / gtk_adjustment_value_changed()
   in order to notify listeners (like the scrollbar) of the change?

You're analysis was very good a gtk_adjustment_changed() just worked fine
Thanks a lot !
You're in now in Amaya cvs log credits for that change.

2) Multikey charachters

Search for gdk_im_* and gdk_ic_* in gtkentry.c to find the
relevant pieces of code.

I'll dig it immediatly !
( a lot of work have been done on the motif Amaya version to get it work, as
all key combinations were in a table that we we're matching... my secret hope
is that we can get rid of it !)

GTK+-1.3.x has a nicer input method abstraction, where you
create a GtkIMContext object, feed it keystrokes, then get
::commit signal when it has output.

Sounds Very good !
(An Unicode amaya-I18n is also under way...
so we're also following your work in Pango with much interest...)

3) Copy, Cut&paste directly in GTK instead of an actual X cut&paste :

The selection primitives in GTK+ are very general, and should work
for just about any usage, though they aren't necessarily convenient.
Sometimes it's handy to use a GtkInvisible widget as the
owner of the selection if there is no obvious widget to act
as the owner of the selection.

We'll try to accomodate with it. GtkInvisible could be a way to escape from
our architecture... we'll see !

GTK+-1.3.x contains a GtkClipboard API that hides the GtkSelection
code and is considerably easier to use.

Just let us finish our port from Motif to GTK,
then to GTK win32,
(if it's possible...),
and then,
we'll go on for the next version of GTK with pleasure !
And we're all sure our work will be a lot more convenient and cool,
because of coding with only one, good, robust and clean API !

All thanks to gnome team !

Thanks a lot, Owen,
You save me a lot of time and headhaches !

Regards,

Paul
http://www.w3.org/Amaya/