out_focus validation

Hi,

1) I have just started using GTK. I want to validate data on the entry
widget
and set the focus back on the same widget (do not allow focus out of the
widget) if appropriate. I tried grab_focus() inside out_focus(), but my app
terminates.

Under Win, it is recommended not to use lost_focus like this for validation
since the system supposedly is in an in-determinate state during that time.
The solution is to post an user defined message and then set the focus back
on the same control. Is it the same here? Then how do I validate?

2) Is there some quick debugging pop-up box similiar to MsgBox() under win?

Help!

Mani. M