How to get a text of gtk_text or gtk_entry widget

Hello all,

In one of the programs I'm writing, there appears a window
(TOP_LEVEL)    :-)

On this window is a gtk_entry widget and a gtk_text widget . Also there
is a gtk_button widget . A reference to the window is given to the
signalhandler (buttonclicked) of the button.  This signal handler of the
button should process the "values" of the gtk_text widget and gtk_entry
widget  (write it to a mysql table)

My problem is that I need to get the text, wich is typed into the
gtk_text and the gtk_entry, when I'm inside the signal handler of the
button, so I can process it. I suppose that I need the reference to the
window (on wich the text and entry widgets are).

How can I now reach the "data" int the gtk_text and gtk_entry ? Please
give me some advice.

If you think I'm heading totally wrong please also say it. So I can try
other ways.

Keep in mind that I have "limited" programming skills, if you answer my
question :-(
(But ofcourse all input is very welcome)

Best regards Martijn