From: "S. Krishnan" <sri_krishnan yahoo com>
To: <gtk-app-devel-list gnome org>
Cc: "Ian Frawley" <ifrawley opaltelecom co uk>
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 12:08 PM
Subject: Re: Timers

Ian,

Good tutorial books are

1. Havoc Pennington's GTK+ / Gnome Application
Development (New Riders) - you will find an online
copy at andamooka.org.

2. Eric Harlow's Developing Linux Applications with
GTK and Glib (also New Riders Publishing).

From what I've heard, you wouldn't want to do direct X
programming without a wrapper library like GTK or
Motif, unless you are a masochist :-).  The final
reference for bare X are the manuals (you'll find them
on the O'Reilly website).  Nabajyoti Barkakati has
also published a fairly readable book on X
programming, in which he first covers the principles
of base X programming (ouch!), and then moves on to
Motif.  The name of the book escapes me, but IIRC, it
is a Prentice Hall publication.  Anyway, the copy I
used (a couple of years back) in India was a Prentice
Hall India version.

I'd suggest that you stick to GTK+ however; after a
few years of Win SDK based GUI programming, GTK has
come as a breath of fresh air for me!

Other refernces for GTK are the website (see the FAQ
and the tutorial).  Maybe you'll want to check out
Glade as a RAD tool (glade.gnome.org).

I have used wget to download the relevant GTK
documentation off the website onto my hard disk, so it
is has become a permanent offline reference for me.  I
suggest that you do the same.

Mail me if you need any further info.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Krishnan

--- Ian Frawley <ifrawley opaltelecom co uk> wrote:
PS. could anyone recommend a good book on the
programming of X cos I am really new to this and I
am a bit confused with GTK+ GTK--, GDK, GIMP etc.
etc. I am not sure what I should actually be using.

Thanks

Ian