Re: Night mode

Take a look at the "xgamma" program that ships with XFree4.  You can change the
gamma curves using that API on a per-channel basis, so you can eg. push the
green and blue channels down.  This won't quite give you what you want (you
really want to change the brightness, not just the gamma curves) but it's
close.

Perhaps someone else knows how to modify brightness levels for the entire
display.  I don't.  :-)

-J