Manipulating Internal Images

I have a GdkPixmap image. How can I resize it, and rotate it? Are there any routines built into GDK to do this?

Also, I'm writing a map editor of sorts. It will involve a large canvas, on which I'll write hexes, and different tiles (the resize is for zooming in and out). What do you think would be the best way to do this: Put a huge canvas with the entire map on it in a scrolled window, or have a smaller canvas, the size of the scrolled window, and redraw it when the user scrolls the screen? Would a sufficiently large canvas eat up an amount of RAM to make a difference?

Thanks,

        Al Morgan [ mann2 qwest net ]