Clist display problem

I have a Gtk+ based file manager that has a clist on the first page.
Selecting a file opens a new notebook page with the zvt widget running a
vi clone displaying the file.  The problem is that the clist will not
display correctly, if the selected file is in the middle of the clist.
The clist will show the bottom part of the list even though the selected
file still has focus if you switch back to the file manager notebook
page.  I asked this question before and was informed that it probably
was caused by the clist waiting for a signal when it was yanked off of
the screen.   After going through the clist, and notebook source code I
found that this behaviour only happens if you use vim as the vi clone.
If you use vile, elvis, or nvi the clist displays correctly.  Using vim
the display is incorrect even if you compile vim without support for X
windows.  Every other console based application that I have tried this
with works correctly, w3m, mutt, links, lynx, so the problem is probably
that the console version of vim is not working correctly with Gtk+.  My
question is does anyone know of any reason why a console application
like vim could affect the Gtk+ interface in this way?  I have started to
go through the vim sources but I am not even sure what to look for since
vim is compiled without support for X.  Could it be that the zvt
terminal is not working correctly with vim?  Any suggestions on where to
look or what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken