buttons in for loop, GtkLabel

Hi,

I'm new to GTK and the list, and hope this is the
right place to post such a question, if not, please
point me to the right one.

Now to my problems.

First, I can not create widgets from inside a for
loop. for example, i want to create 3 buttons, and if
I use a for loop, I get the error:

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 1434
(gtk_widget_show): assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)'
failed

but if I create three copies of the same lines of code
- outside of a for loop - to create the buttons, it
works fine.

Second, in my application, I'm using a timer to update
info once a second, displaying it using a GtkLabel
widget. However, after the callback runs twice, it
stops for the rest of the time the app is open. I have
gone through and discovered if I comment out
gtk_label_set_text, the callback proceeds as expected.

I am using at the moment GTK under Windows (if this
helps any), and haven't had the chance yet to test the
code under Linux.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Anthony T.