Re: GtkText invisible

I don't have too much view on that, though I do tend to think that
following Windows is a good idea, because they spend lots of money on
user testing. Attempts to reason from first principles just aren't a
substitute for an empirical approach.

I am NOT saying that the text should be kept visible, in MOST
situations the answer is no. As I said previously, I clean
ALL my entries before making them insensitive.

What I am saying is that this should not be the DEFAULT behaviour,
for the sake of consistency: if all the other widgets keep
their contents visible why should GtkText behave differently?

So, I think the logical way of doing this would be:

gtk_function_to_clean_text (GtkText);
gtk_widget_set_sensitive (GtkText, FALSE);

instead of doing only

gtk_widget_set_sensitive (GtkText, FALSE)

and cleaning automatically the text. The overall result is
EXACTLY the same, but this way all widgets show the same behaviour
and the programmer is free to decide which option makes more sense
in each case.

Definitely not, one purpose of the toolkit is to make applications
consistent. I can think of no reason whatsoever why one app should be
different from another app in this respect.

I certainly agree that apps should look consistent, I even agree
that in NORMAL conditions programmers should be encouraged to clean
the text before making GtkText insensitive...

the point is, can you guarantee that there would never be a situation
where the text should be kept visible? There are always exceptions,
and GtkText can be used for many different situations... even inside
the same app...

Carlos