Adding widgets to a container at a specific index

Hi,

Does anyone know how to add widgets to a container at a specific index (ie insert widgets so that they can appear under or over other widgets). I need to do this for a Java peer set I'm working on. Java wants to add the widgets under each other (ie widgets added later appear below other widgets - I find this weird!) but Gtk works the other way round. So I need to add widgets at the start of the widget list and not the end.

Thanks for any help....

--
Nick Allen
Software Engineer