adding to a gtk list object

Hello all,

After banging my head on this for a while I'm going to give in and ask
for some wisdom.  I'm really new to GTK so bare with me.  I want to add
things to a gtkList widget.  I've got the code to work with the
gtk_container_add(), which I found here on the mailing list.  While it
works it's not the desired effect.  I want new items added to the list
to insert at the top.  I figured I'd used gtk_list_insert_items().  But
I continually get a sefault.

I'm just probably not understanding what is supposed to go in the GList
but here's what I got.

add_to_list is called by gtk_timeout_add() every 3 seconds. I want to
make sure the viewport scrolls :P  The timer works fine.

gboolean
add_to_list                             (gpointer data)
{
        GtkWidget *myListItem;
        GtkWidget *WidgetRef, *listWidget;
        GList *mygList = NULL;

        WidgetRef= GTK_WIDGET(data);

        listWidget = lookup_widget( GTK_WIDGET(WidgetRef), "packet_list"
);

        printf("Got here\n");
        if (listWidget != NULL ) { printf("myList isn't null\n"); }
        printf("1\n");

        myListItem = gtk_list_item_new_with_label("New GTK list Item");
        printf("2\n");

        mygList = g_list_append( mygList, myListItem );

//      gtk_container_add( GTK_CONTAINER(listWidget), myListItem);
        gtk_list_insert_items( GTK_LIST(listWidget), mygList, 0 );
        printf("3\n");

        gtk_widget_show(myListItem);
        g_list_free( mygList );
        printf("4\n");