buttons lost on minimizing

hi all,
i am still mixed up with the signals.
i have a c application that uses threads extensively.
the threads are killed by signals generated from the main
program.
for the program we used tcl/tk as interface. now we are
converting the ui to gtk. but the problem is that when
the threads are being created the gtk ui is behaving
awkwardly. on minimizing the application the buttons
are being lost. even though i am calling gtk_widget_show_all
in application_expose event even then its not being
able to show all the buttons.
can anyone suggest any methods so that gtk only traps
the signals related to the widgets and not any other signals?
is it possible to clear a signal queue?
also is it possible to write codes so that when the app is
minimized gtk will not wait for any signals.

sorry for writing a long email but the problem is really
serious.

sincerely.
devraj