question regarding gtk_image_new_* functions

Hi, I have a question regarding this undocumented API. I tried using
gtk_image_new_from_file() function, but it seems that even the latest gtk+
source's gtkimage.h does not have this one. The only thing that is present
in the latest gtkimage.h source are all of the deprecated functions relating
to this api. I tried including gtk/gtk.h file on my RH7.0 with both gtk-1.2
and gtk-2.0 and I always ended up having the compiler report an error
stating that the above-mentioned function was implicitly declared (in
another words, does not exist). So, my question is what am I doing wrong? It
seems that the above-mentioned function is catalogued in the online api
reference for the gtk-2.0, but when I checked the gtk2.0 gtkimage.h file, it
still lacked the above-mentioned function (I even checked the latest tarball
available online and it still lacked this function). So, here's the two
questions I have regarding this issue:

1) what do I need to do to get the above-mentioned function?

2) How do I go about choosing whether I am using gtk-2.0 or gtk-1.2 for
compiling my applications (I am using RH 7.0).

Thank you for all your help! Sincerely,

Ivica Bukvic
ico fuse net