where is my error

Hi,
Sorry my english is not good , but I'll try...

I am developing an application , and need to use a clock , and a message
window . I do:

  gnome_init("xxxxx","0.1",argc,argv);
  app = gnome_app_new("
  gnome_app_set_contents(GNOME_APP(app), table);

 text = gtk_text_new (NULL, NULL);
 gtk_text_set_editable (GTK_TEXT (text), TRUE);
 gtk_table_attach_defaults(GTK_TABLE (table), text, 4, 7, 4, 7);
 gtk_text_insert (GTK_TEXT (text), NULL, NULL, NULL,
                        "aviso ", -1);

 gtk_widget_show(table);
 gtk_widget_show(app);

if I show text here all is OK , but I need to show it after click a
button .

When I put gtk_widget_show in a callback function , nothing appear .
I've tried with text , with gnome_dialog , etc , and I've obtained the
same result

The text or gnome_dialog or etc...were declared  global .

With the gtk_clock I needed the same "logic of work" and I haven't any
problem , all work OK , I show it
in a callback function

Thanks in advance for your help !

Danilo