Re: Conceptual Question on Signal Handling in Subclasses

Ian Flanigan <flan lean to> writes:
The big question, I suppose, is how to make objects that can talk to
each other in a way that allows subclasses to handle things
differently from the base class.  In C++ you'd use virtual functions,
for example.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to implement a
Model-View-Controller scheme in my program where the view can be
changed to one of many different implementations on the fly.  Because
I am very much connecting objects together (instead of connecting
objects to some functional framework), I really need to use something
akin to virtual functions since I'm never sure what the underlying
object will actually be.

I would suggest using virtual functions. You can do this in several
ways:
  - just use that C++ feature and build with a C++ compiler
  - just have a variable in your struct:
       void (* do_whatever) (blah blah);
  - use the GtkObject system and derive GtkObjects

Havoc