paned widget size

I want to create a horizontal paned widget with the top widget
occuping approximately 25% of the space and the lower widget having
the rest.  However, the gtk_paned_set_position function wants pixels,
so I need know how much space is allocated to the paned widget to set
its size.  I think this is supposed to be stored in
.allocation.height, but it contains 1 until everything has been
drawn...  How am I supposed to do this?

Also, for gtk 1.3.x text buffer, what's the recommended way to convert
latin-1 strings to utf-8?

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/