Trying to set the palette in a window

I have a simple window which contains a drawrea widget. The goal is to draw some rgb images into the drawarea, which I have been able to do using the gdk_draw_rgb_image function.

The problem is that the image(s) use a special palette, and when I paint the image the colors are off.

The palette information is a 256 array of the three color values (red, green, blue). I just cannot determine how to create/associate a colormap containing the palette information with the window/drawarea.

I've delved into the online documentation and the standard 2 gtk/gnome books but no luck.

Any hints on how to get started on resolving this problem?