Pointer corruption errors...

Hi there. I'm a gtk newbie, and I can't for the life of me figure out this weird error. I'm writing a
directory recursion function to store all directories in a hierarchy in a tree, but I seem to have some
pointer corruption problems. The function is as follows:

GtkWidget
*recurse_dir2(gchar *opath) {
        gchar *path = g_malloc(sizeof(char));
        GtkWidget *tree, *root = g_malloc(sizeof(GtkWidget));
        DIR *dir = g_malloc(sizeof(DIR));
        struct dirent *dirent;

        strcpy(path, opath);

        if (!(dir = opendir(path)))
                return 0;
        tree = gtk_tree_new();
        root = gtk_tree_item_new_with_label(path);
        gtk_tree_append(GTK_TREE(tree), root);
        while ((dirent = readdir(dir)) != NULL)
        {
                if (dirent->d_type == DT_DIR && *dirent->d_name != '.')
                {
                        return 1;
                }
                dirent = (struct dirent *)((unsigned int)dirent+dirent->d_reclen
);
        }

        return tree;

}

As you can see, it's a very simple function, mostly because I didn't even get a chance to finish it before I
noticed this error. While stepping through with gdb, *root points to something like say 0x8088900 after
malloc for *root. After the malloc for *dir, *root then changes to point at say 0x805f4a0, for no reason I
can think of. After the call to open(), it then changes to 0x805f4c0. I feel like I'm missing something
pretty obvious, but I don't know how to debug this any further.

Thanks
Craig