events grabbed globally - cannot debug callback

Probably a GTK issue - not pygtk specific.
I have a callback using:
    gtk.GtkCList,connect('event', self.mycb);
Now this self.mycb calls a function foo() written in C/C++.
I managed to run it in gdb. But when I set a breakpoint in foo(),
when I get there - gdb does break, but my windows freeze.
Looks like the X11-focus was globally grabbed by GtkCList(?),
and I cannot do anything in that X Display.

Is there a way arround. How could one possibly debug
low level functions triggered by GUI callbacks?

I tried starting this pygtk from a non-X environment in another tty,
setting an approriate DISPLAY independent of the debugger.
But there the application would not even start for some
another reason I do not understand.

thanks -- yotam