Re: Creating a non-popup window with little decoration

Thanks for the code :) I removed it for brevity.

This brings two questions to my mind though:

1- Anyone know how to do this in C++? I've looked
at GDK-- and tried using the functions, however the
Gtk::Window object I created doesn't seem to respond
to Gdk::Window commands. It easilly responds to
Gtk::Window and Gtk::Widget commands. I thought that
Gtk::Window inherited somewhat from Gdk::Window.

2- What exactly does "realize" mean (as in
widget_realize)? I've tried looking through the docs,
manuals and tutorials, but each time the explaination
just says "use this to realize the widget". No big
help if you don't know what it means :) Also, I've
seen in C and C++ code, the use of pointers to
widgets,
which were then sent through manage(). What is the
purpose of this function, exactly? What are it's
advantages compared to just creating the widget?

Thanks!

Emmanuel

--- Sebastian Geerken <S Geerken ping de> wrote:

I've attached an example program what does this. A
few Notes:

  - When this code is executed as a result of an
event, you should
    use event->time instead of GDK_CURRENT_TIME.

  - If your program has a bug, and it hangs, it may
lock the X
    server. So make sure you have access to another
console (e.g.
    Linux text console).

  - Of course, you should have *very* good reasons
for locking other
    apps.

Sebastian