Re: Getting root privilege

Stephane Duguay <sduguay Matrox COM> writes:
My application needs super-user (root) privileges to run properly...
BUT, i don't want the user to log as root or run "su root" each time he
wants to run the application... I want the application only to get the
privilege.  I was thinking about popping a dialog box asking for root
password...

Easy enough to do unportably, see how gnorpm, etc. work on Red Hat
using PAM.

For a portable solution... if you have to ask how to do it, probably
you have very little chance of doing it securely. I wouldn't feel
comfortable doing this myself.

Havoc