Re: gdk_input_add

"Dugas, Alan" <alan dugas analog com> writes:

Currently I'm trying to read a file that gets updated asynchronously.
gtk_timeout_add() seems to cause racing conditions.  gdk_input_add() locks
up my cpu.  Does anyone have a method for asynchonously reading a file that
works?

                              -- Stupid Genius
P.S.
I've seen some messages regarding gdk_input_add() which advise against using
it to monitor a file (i.e. it will always have data for reading, etc).  Can
anyone comment on this?

Yes. You can't use Unix's select() or poll() features to look
for updates for a file. That's just not the way Unix works,
for better or worse. And gdk_input_add() comes down to this
in the end.

You'll just have check the file periodically in a timeout;
that's what 'tail -f' does.

Regards,
                                        Owen