notebook page-switch and clist?

I have a clist on the first page of a notebook.  Selecting an item from
the list calls gtk_notebook_append_page() and the contents of the
selected item are displayed on the new notebook page.  The problem is
that any scrolling motion on the new page causes the clist to move to
the bottom of the list.  This only happens when the new notebook page is
first created.  If I select an item and then go back to the clist page
it displays correctly and if I then go to the new page and scroll the
clist is not affected.

So far I have tried:
        Freezing the clist on the switch-page event and thawing the clist when
                switching back to that page.
        gtk_clist_moveto() when switching back to the clist page.
        gtk_clist_select_row() when switching back to the clist page.
        Disconnecting the key_press_signal from the clist before appending the
        page.

None of the above correct the problem.  Does anyone have an idea of what
could be causing this?

Thanks,
Ken

The source code is at http://vide.sourceforge.net  If you're really
bored and have nothing better to do on a Saturday.