Re: Pixmaps, I'm stupid

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe larwe com> writes:
So I looked a little deeper, and of course 1.x DOES have pixmaps. But
how can I get into that opaque data structure? What's actually in
there?

Of course I can draw an RGB buffer into a pixmap, then copy the pixmap
onto the screen, but I want to eliminate that step and render my
content directly into the pixmap.

The pixmap is on the X server - the image data is not in your process.
It's across the network.

GdkImage represents client-side (in your process) image data. You can
draw to a GdkImage and then push that over to the server.
GdkImage is in a hardware-dependent format.

GdkRGB just converts 8-8-8 RGB into a GdkImage then pushes that to the
server.

Havoc