threads + gtk idle loop

This question has probably been asked before, but I can't
seem to find a solution...

Basically I'm using pthreads and gtk as described in the
faq and elsewhere (surrounding gtk calls in my threads
within gdk_threads_enter and gtk_threads_leave, etc.).

However, the problem I am encountering is with a clist. I
am inserting data into the clist from a thread, but the
gtk_main thread doesn't seem to update the list
completely unless I move the mouse. Is the gtk_main
thread waiting idling for events and ignoring the events
the other thread is creating? I'm at a complete loss. Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Matt