Event Called At gtk_main()?

When I'm initializing images in my program, it throws me warnings when I
run the program: "Creating pixmap with NULL window and colormap."  This
seems to be beacuse gtk_main hasn't started, so the GdkWindows and
colormaps don't exist.  Is this correct?  And if so, is there an event
or something that can be triggered when gtk_main is started, so I can
initialize things without throwing warnings?

Thanks,

        Al Morgan [ almorgan pdxlinux org ]