Re: Newbie: Installing gtk

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Newbie: Installing gtk
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 12:24:07 -0700
From: "Timothy M. Shead" <tshead k-3d com>
To: gabberatski <gabberatski freegates be>

gabberatski wrote:

> Sorry, I know, I shouldn't question this to this list, but I haven't
> seen anything on the net about Installing gtk on M$ Visual Studio.(C++ 6).

Go to http://user.sgic.fi/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html and download
the files listed under "Developer packages".  Install the .dll files in
your Windoze system directory, and point MSVC to wherever you installed
the .lib and .h files.

GTK+ can also be compiled from source using MSVC, although you'll have
to create your own project files.

If you're looking for a more Linux-like experience, you might also look
into installing Cygwin from http://souces.redhat.com/cygwin ... now that
you can get XFree86 for Windoze from within the Cygwin environment, you
can compile the "mainstream" GTK+ source with gcc without any effort at
all - quite impressive!  I've actually found that building XFree86 and
GTK+ within Cygwin and running an X server was easier than compiling the
GTK+ Win32 port with gcc ... YMMV, of course.

Regards,
Timothy M. Shead